Sunday, March 22, 2015

How to practice serving

Believe it or not, even a tennis master like me needs to practice. After getting broken a few times in a match, I decided that I needed to practice my serve. Since it was a warm New York day and I didn't have anyone to play with I headed to the outdoor courts to work on my serve. I'm working on getting a new grip for my serve, the continental grip. I tired to structure my practice session so tat I could maximize the spare hour I had. Here's something I recommend when practicing to make your session most effective : use an abbreviated serve. Don't bother with the windup when working on a new grip, toss or swing. First, focus on getting the grip and toss and contact point right. After you have mastered these aspects of your serve, work on using your body- specifically your legs- in developing a faster serve. Finally, after you have mastered these aspects, add in the windup. Witt this type of practice regimen you will find that it is easier to make corrections and adjustments in your serve. If you try to work on too many aspects of your serve at once, your serve will falter.

No comments: